Search This Blog

Thursday 18 August 2011

Poland. It didn't even get invaded.

While we only saw a small corner of this country, my eyes were definitely opened to its wonders and exports: Zlotys, 24hr dumpling shops, seasame snaps and Micheal Klim to name a few.
Day 15: We arrived in Krakow from the overnight train at 7am and found the Hotel Polonia. Frank shouted me breakfast before Tomi tok us on our orientation walk. It was eeriely empty, because it was a public holiday, and at 8:30am, the tourists hadn't emerged yet, but it was nice having the place all to ourselves. Once we were oriented, I went for a wander up to Wawel Castle. En route, I heard some beautiful music playing, which turned out to be the Krakow Philharmonic. As I was listening, I noticed a poster on the wall advertising Emma Kirkby's concert that night! And just like that, I was 25zlotys poorer. At 11 I went to the free walking tour and would you believe it, I bumped into RUSSEL GILMOUR. Our guide makes use of the local artThe tour was lead by a crazy Pole, with far to active eyebrows, who took us around to the Barbican, City Wall, St. Marys, Wawel Castle... After that I went to the Jewish Quarter, which is a very very cool part of town, like Krakows Camden.
That night we went to get dumplings for dinner, yum yum yum yum yum, before Dave and I set of to get Kirkby-ed. After the show, which was amazing, I went out for drinks with Russel and some of his trumpet friends to a really cute and quirky bar in the Jewish Quarterm which was really fun. I had tatankas - bison grass vodka, apple and cinnamon - so so good. On my way home though I got caught in a MASSIVE rain storm, in the middle of which I called Genevieve to sing Happy Birthday. I ended up sheltering in the doorway of a bank with two Czechs and two Poles for about 15 minutes, but I ended up grabbing a cab back.I polished those off quickly!
Day 16: Today was a day of intensity. Auschwitz. We were taken through the barraks of Auschwitz 1 which had different displays - correspondence, documents, medical slips, surveys, photos, artefacts. Some amazing things were 2 tonnes of human hair, millions of spectacles, and piles and piles and piles of shoes. Next was Auschwitz 2, Birkanau. The sheer size of this place just blows your mind.
That night we went out to dinner in the Jewish Quarter and I had Bigos. So so so yummy. Followed by Polish apple pie.
Overall, Poland has definitely grown on me as a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment