Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Hungry for Hungary


Day 22: We are well and truly in the old USSR now. We caught the trolly bus (a cross between a tram and a bus) to our hotel before facing the deliciously humid weather and heading to Margit Island. On the island we went to the pool and thermal baths which were perfect for the hot day we had just endured. We all sat down and had some langos, fried bread lathered in sourcream and cheese (first ticked off my list of Hungarian delicacies) before heading in. Post-swimI relaxed in Palatinus for the next 3 hours. That night I met up with Kirtan, Jeff and Dave to hit the Budapest town. We grabbed some chow in a really cute cafe, I had paprika chicken (my second Hugarian delicacy) and Hungarian sponge cake. We went to this really cool club called Szimpla. It was decked out with flags, wooden furniture, chairs, giving it a really cool underground feel.
Day 23: First stop today was Heroes Square at City Park, from there I walked down Andraddy, Budapest's Champs Elysee, gazing at all the designer stores. I grabbed a coffee at Vosmarty Square to join the free walking tour. We saw St. Stevens Cathedral, an underground bar, Kiskivaly Statue, and the parliament buildings before leaving the Pest side over the chain bridge to Buda. We went up castle mountain, across to the fishermans bastion and the Matthias cathedral. From there Tori and I (my new friend) went to the Market Hall - Europe's biggest, for lunch, local style. I had a cabbage leaf parcel (4th local cuisine). GoulashAfter that we got our cultural on at the House of Terror, probably one of the best museums I have been to in Europe! I learnt so much about the Communist world. Tori and I said our goodbyes, before I went back to the apartment, smacked on some lippy and went out to dinner.The menu was goulash (Number 5, the big one). Yum yum yum. A good way to say goodbye to this amazing country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment