Search This Blog

Saturday 20 August 2011

Czech it out!

Day 17: It took 3 trains and 10 hours to get from Krakow to Prague which involved lots of reading eating and Tomi sitting on my lap. When we arrived, we caught the tram to the local city flats we were staying in, with some locals. The ladys flat is right out of the 1950s, floral curtains, cup and saucer sets, chandeliers and a little book and record collection.
We met up with the group again for a little orientation tour of the city. That night we went for dinner at a local Czech pub, where we all sampled some local cuisines: dumplings, pork, duck, fried camenbert... After that we headed to "The Pub". A completely unique drinking experience. Each table has taps and you pay at the end of the night, by the liter! Then, there is a running score board for how many liters each table has drunk, and then a score baord for how much each pub has drunk, all over Europe!Disney's inspiration
Day 18: The next day we had to ourselves. I started with running some errands before joining the walking tour. We were shown around the Old Town New Town and Jewish Quarter - Astronomical clock, Tyn Cathedral, St. Nicholas Church, the 400yr old mummified arm in St. James', Charles Bridge, Powder town, Jan Hus Statue... So much! When we disbanded I grabbed some lunch n Karlovo Namesti Park before walking up to Vysehrat, to take in some great views of the city. From there, I walked over the river to Prague Castle. I walked through the complex, the cathedral, chapels, squares, it was beautiful. Although, there were no information boards or labels or anything, so I didn't really know what I was looking at.
I walked down the hill, to get some dinner at the Lokal.Cesky Krumlov Castle
Day 19: Today we travelled from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, a little town in the south of the Czech Republic. We dumped our stuff and headed in to the town center where we met Oldriska, the coolest hippy ever, who took us on a tour of the center and castle. She told us some really interesting facts and gave us one of the golden quotes of the tour "If you befriend it; it will let you milk it". I dedicated the afternoon to doing absolutely nothing which was lovely. Frank and I shared an icecream, Tomi and I had a chat and I read mybook before heading off to dinner with the crew. We went to a medieval style place where I tried some Moravian mead and some South Bohemian mead. So good. After dinner, we went to a Celtic rock concert. Oldriska and I danced the night away. After that I went to the town square to watch the laser show. It was probably the weirdest thing I have ever seen. David and I had a lot of fun afterwards pulling it apart and laughing a lot. 
The Czech Republic is a very very cool country. Prague is just the most amazing city. I think it is my favourite European city so far! The food is good, everything is cheap, the people are SO nice and the whole place just has a vibe which made me fall in love.

Meady mead mead

No comments:

Post a Comment