Search This Blog

Thursday 4 August 2011

Bonjour Paris

Paris. The city of love. Unfortunately, I was a little love deprived, but these things happen. Instead I filled that gaping hole with lots of pastry, bread, crepes, coffee and shopping. Problem solved I'd say.
Day 1: I arrived in Paris and found the hostel before wandering off towards Montmarte, what I would say is the coolest part of Paris. There are tonnes of second hand shops, and beautiful shoe stores, I had to resist blowing all my cash on my first day. Naively, I began walking up some stairs, thinking I could see the top after a few flights. Many many many stairs later, I was at the Sacre Coeur. The view over the cityWhat a view! From there I went to the Place du Tertre, the home of portrait artists and tourist art. That night, Tessa arrived, and we went for a walk around Paris Plages (The Seine is converted to a beach over Summer) before calling it a night.
Day 2: Today Tessa and I set out on our free walking tour, where we met a bunch of other cool travellers. Over the day we saw Paris' main sights including: the obelisque, the Louvre, Napoleons Arch,Pont Neuf, the Eiffel Tower, and the Palace of the Invalids. After the tour, Felicity (our new Melbournian friend), Tessa and I strolled up the Champs de L'essey, the world most beautiful boulevard, to the Arc du Triomph. It really is quite big. From there we went back to the hostel for a nap, before our Eiffel Tower picnic and light show. We staked out our spot, assembled our picnic, and got out tourist on as we ate, drank and laughed the night away.Picnics in front of the Eiffel Tower are the best.
Day 3: Today I set off alone, first stop Pere Lachaise Cemetery. This place gave me goosebumps as soon as I walked through the gates. It was eeriely beautiful. I saw the graves of Rossini, Bizet, Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf and CHOPIN! One that I also got very excited for was Joseph Gay-Lussac. The man who's acid-base theory got us through HSC Chemistry. That afternoon I met up with Tessa and Flic to do the Louvre. People said that it was busy, but really, it was pure mayhem. The crowd in front of the Mona Lisa was ridiculous and it really ruined it. All the pushing and flashing was just plain rude. Tessa headed after that, while Flic and I took in some more of the art, seeing Aphrodite and some 16/17th Century Dutch Art - my favourite.
Next stop for me was the Moulin Rouge, via Rue Monmarte - one of my favourite Parisian streets. I stopped along the way for my crepe fix - nutella and banana, not very authentic, but oh so good.
And that, my friends, is how you do Paris in 3 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment